Sunday, August 16, 2009

003: When in Rome.. ehm.. Brussels...

Salut les enfants,


That's a phrase I just heard at the métro station and I deemed it quite fitting for this post. Why, oh why I hear you ask. Well, for one there are things to be remembered - like life saving lessons - when you go exploring in a forgein city and do not speak the language, or, in my case, don't understand a lick of it.

# 1 Never, and by that I mean NEVER, forget to pack sth to drink.

# 2 Never, and by that I mean NEVER, forget to bring your city map.

# 3 If you don't have a city map go back home quickly to pick it up!

# 4 If you happen to have brought a city map make sure you... I don't know.. actually know how read maps.

# 5 When lost, do not panic, just take a deep breath and relax. Just follow the tourists who have a map and actually know where they are going (to be recognized by confident stride while still looking around wide eyed).

That's about it. That's how my day started. And now I have a headache from hell.

One the other hand there's always someone who is more confused about the métro station plan and the various directions. I had just arrived at métro station Beurs (that's the Flemish version) and apparently a family from France (duh, not like they WOULD NOT undertand the French signs, non?) consisting of parents and children aged 5 and 7 were waiting for what I assume must have been the grandfather. So when he came to pick them up he said "Salut des enfants"... I have a feeling he didn't mean the little boys.

No picture today, sorry.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry Love. Wish I could give you tea and cookies to make you feel better.
    TCO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies would be nice and a bit of pepsi soda and a sunflower and... I don't know... a visit?

    ReplyDelete