Sunday, September 20, 2009

016: A trip down Memory Lane

Hoi jullie allen,


NOW, it HAS BEEN a while, hasn't it? I cannot believe the week has gone by so fast. Time's nifty that way.

And seeing as I've stepped right in - today's post was inspired by music. Music that makes me feel utterly good about life, in the grand scheme of things. Of course, listening to that Scotish radio station helped quite a bit. Quick; how many 1990-2010bands and singers from Scotland can you name? Cite your sources if you can top 21. And no, Coldplay does not count; and the Manic Street Preachers are Welsh!

So, question: ten years ago to the day; do you remember where you where on 20th Sep 1999?

September 1999 was a Monday, by the way. I don't know where I was that day, multiple places, I am sure; but I know what I did. I took a long walk by the river (THE river) and listened to Texas' The Hush Album on constant repeat. And I nearly walked into someone riding his bike; turns out it was an old friend I hadn't seen for a couple of months.
So, I learned that he had enlisted, planned to serve for 12 years. And he was to leave the following week. We ended up sitting down for a couple of hours, talking about random stuff and then shared the earphones. Turned out we liked the same song. And not to be misunderstood pals, we're talking about INSTANT LIKE.
So, to leave that tangent, when I took the metro today, THAT song was playing in the station. Only, it was a different recording I had never heard before... there is a reason why someone was smart enough to develop iTUNES. In fact I am convinced that person invented iTUNES for situations like this.
And there is a reason why I am grinning like crazy. It's funny, when you're nineteen, you think you have all the time in the world to acquire drive and focus; not that it's becoming easier as you grow older, mind you.

All in all, that day is a very happy memory. Oh, and I have another one.

Some of you know the story behind this photograph (if you don't, sorry, not going to share, that's... classified):



Scheveningen, 2002


And guess, while I am looking and sorting through the copious amount of photographs I have taken here in Belgium (I will never see the end of this 1200 photos - someone really needs to stop me, maybe I should go back to OLD SKOOL Photography, that'd be nice for a change for sure) I cannot help but wonder:


Oostende North Sea, 2009


Do you hear someone singing Indifference in the far distance, too?

3 comments: